Click To View Video
Israel Defense Forces Blog: http://www.idfblog.com
Israel Defense Forces on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/idfonline
Israel Defense Forces on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson
Between March 9th and March 14th, terrorists from the Hamas ruled Gaza Strip fired hundreds of rockets at Israeli population centers. These rockets are smuggled into the Gaza Strip through a vast network of smuggling tunnels, often hidden under residential structuers. The IDF Combat Engineering Corps' elite unit 'Yahalom' (Diamond) detects and destroys these tunnels, in order to cut off the weapons supply to terror organizations such as Hamas.
Yahalom (Hebrew language: יהל"ם - יחידה הנדסית למשימות מיוחדות) is a special elite combat engineering unit of the Israeli Engineering Corps of the Israel Defense Forces. The name "Yahalom" (Diamond in Hebrew) is an abbreviation of "Special Operations Engineering Unit".
Sayeret Yahalom specializes in special engineering missions that include:
- Commando and Counter-Terrorism missions.
- Accurate demolitions and planting of pinpoint explosives.
- Defusing bombs, landmines and unexploded ordnance (Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)).
- Maritime sabotage and obstacles breaching.
- Searching and destroying smuggling tunnels.
- Developing advanced methods and tools for demolitions and EOD.
- Teaching and training engineering corps soldiers and other Special Units in demolitions and EOD.